Thursday, September 20, 2007

Bike accident, one week later

Most of the injuries are healing just fine, and I'm back on my bike, very cautiously this time around. One interesting aspect, though, is that I now have two red bruises on my arm that just appeared there yesterday. As in, eight days after the accident. And I don't even think there was direct impact to the site where one of these has shown up. Is this weird? Anyone out there have experience with delayed bruising? According to my classmates, I either have leukemia or hemophilia. Thanks, guys.

What situations like this make me realize, though, is how happy I am to be in a problem-based learning curriculum. It's not just that I have two funky bruises on my arm; it's "huh, I have two funky bruises on my arm. I wonder if I can find more information on that which could tell me how weird that really is." It's a sometimes tortuous process that means you're always looking for more information, but it has the excitement of a detective chase. I'll try to post more on PBL in the future, which probably won't be hard, as it dominates my life these days.

2 comments:

Ringo said...

Glad to see you're doing better, but sorry about the bruises.

On the theme of PBL, my friend Will and I teach together and we're creating an interdisciplinary History/Science course, and we're using some elements of PBL. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Rica said...

Cool! Let me know how it works out. And if you want more advice on it, a second-year in my program is writing her master's thesis about PBL and has probably done a lot of reading on what works and what doesn't. Let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.